PRINCIPLES FOR AN AGILE LEGAL Practice
Legal professionals of all kinds are discovering better ways of delivering legal services by doing it and helping others to do it. We strive to create practices that build profit for ourselves and our communities, that scale our expertise to maximize our positive impact, and that create sustainable systems for our present and our future.
We accomplish this by following four key principles: 1
Empower Your Team
Focus on Customer Value
Optimize for Quality
Improve Regularly with Feedback
In adopting these fundamental tenets,
we strive toward the following ideals: 2
1. The highest priority is to satisfy the client through early, continuous, and perceptible delivery of customer value.
2. Start where you are, and welcome change. We harness change for our clients' and our communities' benefit.
3. Deliver quality outcomes regularly, consistently, and as quickly as circumstances allow. Where a final outcome isn't possible, deliver tangible results.
4. Team members must communicate and collaborate frequently - ideally daily - throughout the matter.
5. Build teams of motivated individuals. Give them the environment and support they need, and trust them to get the job done.
6. The most efficient and effective method of conveying information is face-to-face conversation.
7. Measurement is essential; use it to drive continuous improvement.
8. Agile processes promote sustainable delivery. Everyone involved should be able to maintain a constant pace indefinitely.
9. Technical excellence and good design enhance agility.
10. Simplicity - the art of maximizing the amount of work not done - is essential.
11. The best results emerge from self-organizing teams.
12. At regular intervals, the team reflects on how to become more effective, then tunes and adjusts its behavior accordingly.